In the sun-soaked waters off Western Australia, the 66th Cockburn Sound Regatta wrapped up the 2023 sailing season with four days of excellent racing. Among the standout performers was SAGACIOUS IV, the IOR Farr 40 owned by Chris Hind. Fitted with the latest black X-Drive Carbon sails from UK Sailmakers Fremantle, SAGACIOUS sailed into a second place finish in Division 1.
The decision to choose UK Sailmakers proved sagacious for SAGACIOUS, underscoring the importance of selecting the right sailplan in the competitive world of sailing. X-Drive sails offer durability, maintaining peak performance season after season, while being lightweight and affordable. This winning combination contributed significantly to SAGACIOUS’ impressive performance at the Cockburn Sound Regatta.
While SAGACIOUS was a standout, many other UK Sailmakers Fremantle customers also left their mark on the regatta including:
- ENDORFIN – Michael Giles – 6th place in Division 1
- NO ETIQUETTE – Trevor Taylor – 2nd place in the Sportboat Division
- MIND’S EYE – Michael Thorpe – 6th place in Division 2
- SAND CRABS DISCO – Graeme Martin – 1st place in JAM Division 1
- JUBILANT – Ian Joel – 5th place in JAM Division 1
- HUCKLEBERRY – Phil Somerville – 4th place in JAM Division 2
- THE BLACK SMOKE – Jeremy Kerr – 5th place in JAM Division 2
Organized by The Cruising Yacht Club of WA (TCYC), the Cockburn Sound Regatta spanned four days of thrilling racing on the stunning waters of Mangles Bay off Rockingham. With a diverse fleet of 53 boats divided into 3 Spinnaker Divisions, 3 Jib and Main Classes, and a Sportboat fleet, the event provided a challenging yet exhilarating experience for all participants. The organizers expressed their sincere thanks to the Kwinana Industries Council for their sponsorship and ongoing support of this event.
Congratulations to SAGACIOUS IV and all UK Sailmakers Fremantle customers for their outstanding performances at the 66th Cockburn Sound Regatta. We hope to see more excellent results as the 2024 season continues.